2017 Men’s Silent Retreat
We are excited to invite you to our first
Men’s Silent Retreat at
Beautiful Birchwood Camp
Friday, September 8, 7:30pm-
Saturday, September 9, 9pm.
$75 per person includes meals, lodging, programming
(Men 18+ years, Bring a Bible, Journal, Pen, Sleeping Bag, Pillow, Towel, Personal Care Items)
Jesus modeled for us the importance of retreating in order to be alone with the Father. The Psalms give us examples of prayers offered while men were alone, seeking the face of God.
A silent retreat is an extended time in which an individual seeks to be alone with the Lord to listen and be transformed by His Word and Spirit. At a specific place for a specific amount of time, a person retreats (stops) from their everyday routine and relationships to meditate (listen) on God’s Holy Word and then do what His Word says (follow). The purpose of a silent retreat is to STOP! LISTEN! FOLLOW!
The goal for each participant is to open the Word of God and listen. A Bible and journal are all that is needed to bring. Good things, even music, books, instruments, computers, and cell phones can also keep us from hearing the voice of God through His Word and Spirit. Each person on a retreat is going to pray and meditate and listen for God’s agenda, not his own. As the Lord leads, we are confident that He will make Himself known in a way that will have a profound impact on each participant.
“From all that I said about our worried, overfilled lives, it is clear that we are usually surrounded by so much noise that it is hard to truly hear our God when He is speaking to us. We have often become deaf, unable to know when God calls us and unable to understand in which direction He calls us… A spiritual life requires discipline, because we need to learn to listen to God, who constantly speaks but whom we seldom hear. When, however, we learn to listen, our lives become obedient lives.”
— From Making All Things New, Henri Nouwen
- Friday evening — Travel to Birchwood Camp; 7:30pm Registration; 8pm Introductions, Orientation, and Instruction
- Friday evening 9:30pm – Saturday 6pm — Complete silence, including at all meals.
- Saturday evening — Break the silence at a feast and celebrate what the Lord is doing!
UPDATE: Thanks to everyone for making this a wonderful event this year! In spite of the overcast weather, people came to join in the fun! We started with a Fun Run, then everyone enjoyed the camp activities (boating, SUP, archery, challenge course), and hot dogs & s’mores by the fire circle. In addition, we raised over $18,000 during the auction to support the mission and ministry of Birchwood Camp. THANK YOU!
AUCTION ITEMS: See below for a short list and some photos of a few of our auction items. We’ll be updating this list as more items come in, so check back! We usually have a wide variety of items, from beautiful handmade goods to gift certificates to local businesses to overnight getaways to fishing trips. If you’d like to donate an item for our auction, please contact our office manager, Radie (907-688-2734 or email@example.com).
- 2018 Rainbow fishing trip for two with Dave Wilson of “Let’s Go Fishing Charters”
- Delicious homemade cookies baked by Carla Wight
- Birchwood Camp Counselor for an hour
- Round fused glass plate with fused glass making tutorial by Mindy Meyn
- Fused glass spoon rest
- “Descending Dove of Peace, Symbol of Holy Spirit”, designed and crafted by Al Kline
- “Peace Be With You, Risen Christ”, designed and crafted by Al Kline
- Dessert a month for a year by David and Christine Duprow
- Use of a Girdwood cabin
- “Rue Clar Flower Stall, Paris”, canvas print, photo by JoAnn Shore
- Walrus on white ivory base by Fritz Waghiyi of Savoonga on St Lawrence Island
- Howling Husky on old ivory base by Nelson, Siberian Yupik
- Swan on slice of old ivory by Archie Slwooko of Savoonga
- Framed photo, “Commemorating the 1989 Wasilla Restart of the Iditarod”
- “The Fish Trap”, B&W framed print
- Leather bracelet with different stones design by Michele Stone of BlingAndBracelets
- Leather bracelet with flower design by Michele Stone of BlingAndBracelets
- 14 Days house and pet sitting (cats excluded) provided by Meghan Woods
- Tickets for 4 to the Alaska Sealife Center in Seward, AK
- Tea lover’s gift basket which includes tea, scones, caramel waffles, & shortbread cookies
- Handwoven table runner or wall hanging
- Birch bowl made by Gayland Wohlgemuth
- REI macro chairs
- Handmade scarf by Carla Wight
- Dimond Center Family Fun Pack
- Gift certificate for a skating party at Dimond Ice Chalet
- 14 days of House and Pet Sitting (excluding cats due to allergy)
A rainbow from the guided fishing trip with Dave Wilson
Delicious homemade cookies by Carla Wight
Round fused glass plate by Mindy Meyn
Fused glass spoon rest by Mindy Meyn
Nico Romeijn-Stout during fused glass making tutorial
Swan on slice of old ivory
Walrus on white ivory base
Howling husky on old ivory base
“Peace Be With You, Risen Christ” woodwork crafted by Al Kline
“Descending Dove” woodwork crafted by Al Kline
Leather bracelet with flower design
Leather bracelet with stones design
“The Fish Trap”, B&W print
“Rue Clar Flower Stall, Paris”, canvas print
It’s been a beautiful (if a little rainy) summer this year in Alaska and what better way to celebrate the end than by coming out to Birchwood Camp! We invite you all to come out to camp and join us for the Birchwood Jamboree, August 13th, and help us celebrate the end of another summer camping season.
Go for a jaunt around camp on the 1mi Fun Run or 5k running course, take a boat or Stand Up Paddle Board out on Psalm Lake, check out the new Archery Range, or head out to the Challenge Course. Then, top it all off with a camp cookout – complete with s’mores ($25/person registration for activity + dinner, $100 family cap). Not ready to go home yet? Then stay and check out the silent and live auctions for the chance to bid on some amazing and unique items!
Just want to go on the lake and eat a s’more? That’s fine! Not really into camp activities and just want to check out the auction? That’s fine too! We’d love to see everyone there, no matter how long or short your visit is.
Please RSVP to the camp office (907-688-2734) so we know how many marshmallows we need! Questions? Please call Liz Ashlock (907-748-2565). Already know you won’t be available on the 13th, but want to donate? Check out the link on the home page of Birchwood Camp’s website.
Hope to see you August 13th at the Birchwood Camp Jamboree!
Registration Fee: $75 (Friday-Saturday) or $50 (Saturday only)
In this fast paced world of family responsibilities, career demands and social media, take a break to relax, slow, and grow at the Women’s Psalm Retreat at Psalm Lake on Birchwood Camp. We will be digging deeper into Psalms along the shores of Psalm Lake; the perfect place for God to speak peace and joy into our crazy busy lives! Starting on Friday, April 28th at 7pm with welcoming and a restful evening; followed by Saturday, April 29th sunrise beside Psalm Lake praise, worship, meditation, prayer walk and much more! Leave around 8pm refreshed and renewed.
You have an option to come for overnight, Friday-Saturday or Saturday only.
Click here to register for Women’s Psalm Retreat