Each year we hire 6 to 8 dynamic, talented, flexible, compassionate young adults to serve on our intern team during our summer camping season. Our intern program is designed to give young adults the opportunity to lead and learn in a variety of ways: Interns practice program planning, design and execution. They learn about working effectively with children, teens and adults. Our interns help in all parts of camp as “all-purpose” employees, supporting the various aspects of our ministry of hospitality. They are mentored by other leaders who help them to identify & nurture their gifts. All of our staff, interns and volunteers learn to live and practice genuine Christian community.
Our intern program is a great way to gain practical experience in various forms of Christian ministry, especially camping/outdoor ministry or children & youth ministry; this is also a great internship for those interested in outdoor education or teaching. Many of our interns are pursuing degrees in unrelated fields but enjoy the unique experience & skills that come from serving at camp. We are intentional about developing the leadership skills & gifts of our interns, nurturing their faith walk, and creating a unique and supportive staff community at camp. To top it off, interns get to spend the summer in Alaska, surrounded by God’s beautiful creation.
We hope you’ll join us; working at camp is the BEST way to spend your summer! Check out the American Camp Association’s Why Work at Camp!!
Intern Program Details:
Time Frame: All interns serve a 6 week term during our summer camping programs, May 23 – July 4, 2015. Some interns will be offered positions through the end of July and others into August depending on their skills, availability and camp scheduling needs. Positions up to 12 weeks are possible.
Compensation: Starting at $200/ week, plus room & board and meals while camps are in session. Stipend is greater for certified lifeguards and returning summer staff. We are happy to work with your educational institution to help you get school credit for your internship; if you are interested, please talk to us about this.
Leadership Development: In order to provide meaningful opportunities for leadership development, each intern will be asked to choose at least one “specialization” for the summer. Options for leadership roles include: Lifeguard, Worship Leader, Rec Director, Photographer, Videographer, Craft Specialist, Maintenance Intern, or Administrative Assistant. You’ll have an opportunity to select your preferred leadership roles on the application.
Desired Traits & Abilities:
- A love of camping, people and the outdoors
- Previous leadership experiences
- Desire & ability to be in ministry with children, youth and adults in a camp setting
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, Christ-like attitude, and responsible decision-making abilities
- Ability to creatively and prayerfully plan, organize, and carry out programs
- Ability to supervise campers and other staff
- Ability to travel to and from Anchorage, Alaska if not already living in the state; your transportation to Alaska is not provided by the camp. We are happy to pick you up from the airport, etc, when you arrive. If travel costs are an issue, don’t let it keep you from applying; airline miles or travel scholarships may be available.
- Must be at least 18 years old; 21 and older preferred
- We encourage those with current applicable certifications to apply, such as lifeguard or challenge course certifications. However, certifications are not required in order to be selected for the position.
Interns are Supervised by:
Birchwood Camp’s Director and Program Director. The interns will also work closely with the Dean of each camp (Deans are different for each camp session).
How to Apply:
Sound like it might be the job for you? Check out the full Camp Intern Job Description. Please read the job description before applying.
Applications are still being accepted for our male summer intern positions. Because our interns also serve as cabin counselors, we must hire a certain number of both male & female staff. All the female staff positions have been filled. Male staff positions will remain open until filled.
Application Instructions: You must select “Camp Intern” as the position you are applying for on the application. You can start an application and click “save for later” if you need to complete it at a later date. Be sure to read the job description above before applying.
Questions? Call 907.688.2734 or email email@example.com.