Each year we hire a team of dynamic, talented, flexible, compassionate young adults to serve with us during our summer camping season. Our intern program is designed to give young adults the opportunity to lead and learn in a variety of ways: Interns practice program planning, design and execution. They learn about working effectively with children, teens and adults. Our interns help in all parts of camp as “all-purpose” employees, supporting the various aspects of our ministry of hospitality. They are mentored by other leaders who help them to identify & nurture their gifts. All of our staff, interns and volunteers learn to live and practice genuine Christian community.
Our intern program is a great way to gain practical experience in various forms of Christian ministry, especially camping/outdoor ministry or children & youth ministry; this is also a great internship for those interested in outdoor education or teaching. Many of our interns are pursuing degrees in unrelated fields but enjoy the unique experience & skills that come from serving at camp. We are intentional about developing the leadership skills & gifts of our interns, nurturing their faith walk, and creating a unique and supportive staff community at camp. To top it off, interns get to spend the summer in Alaska, surrounded by God’s beautiful creation.
We hope you’ll join us; working at camp is the BEST way to spend your summer! Check out the American Camp Association’s Why Work at Camp!!
Intern Program Details:
Time Frame: All interns serve during our summer camping programs, May 25 – July 4, 2014. Some interns will be offered positions through the end of July and others into August depending on camp scheduling needs.
Compensation: Starting at $180/ week, plus room & board and meals while camps are in session. Stipend is increased for certified lifeguards and returning summer staff.
We are looking for Interns with these characteristics & abilities:
- A love of camping, people and the outdoors
- Previous leadership experiences
- Desire & ability to be in ministry with children, youth and adults in a camp setting
- Enthusiasm, flexibility, Christ-like attitude, and responsible decision making abilities
- Ability to creatively and prayerfully plan, organize, and carry out programs
- Ability to supervise campers and other staff
- Ability to travel to and from Chugiak, Alaska if not already living in the area or state; transportation is not provided. However, if you live outside of Alaska there may be ways to have airline miles donated for your use. Don’t let this keep you from applying.
- Must be at least 18 years old; 21 and older preferred
- We encourage those with current applicable certifications to apply, such as lifeguard or challenge course certifications. However, certifications are not required in order to be selected for the position.
Interns are Supervised by:
Birchwood Camp’s Director and Program Director. The interns will also work closely with the Dean of each camp (Deans are different for each camp session).
How to Apply:
Sound like it might be the job for you? Check out the full Camp Intern Job Description. Please read the job description before applying. Then click below to start your online application. Note: Be sure to select “camp intern” as the position you are applying for.
Summer 2014 intern program applications open on December 1, 2013. Applications will be reviewed as they are received. The deadline to apply is February 1, 2014.
Questions? Call 907.688.2734 or email the camp director.